Celebrating 50 Years of the Protein Data Bank Archive
In 2021, RCSB PDB and the wwPDB celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the PDB with symposia, materials, and more.
- PDB50 Meetings and Symposia hosted by the wwPDB Foundation
- Inaugural event: A special symposium celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Protein Data Bank (May 4-5, 2021).
- Transactions Symposium 2021: Function Follows Form: Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Protein Data Bank (July 30-31, 2021).
This virtual event is part of the Annual Meeting of the American Crystallographic Association.
- Understanding Enzyme Function in 3D: Celebrating 50 Years of the Protein Data Bank (Aug 25, 2021); part of the Fall ACS Meeting.
- Biophysical Society Celebrates 50 Years of the PDB (October 6, 2021; virtual)
- Bringing Molecular Structure to Life: 50 Years of the PDB (October 20-22, 2021) Virtual EMBL Conference.
- Celebrating PDB Contributions from Rutgers University Structural Biologists (November 2, virtual)
- Protein Data Bank at 50: Accessing, Understanding, and Assessing PDB Data hosted by the Royal Society of Chemistry Chemical Information and Computer Applications Group (November 16 and November 18; virtual)
- 50 Years of the PDB and the Frontier of Structural Biology in Asia: A satellite symposium (Nov 24) of the Biophysical Society of Japan (Nov 25-27, 2021)
- 2021 PDB50 Calendar and Virtual Meeting Backgrounds
Journal Collections and Articles
How the PDB changed biology
Issue contains reviews that celebrates scientific areas profoundly touched by the creation of the PDB
The PDB in JBC
Collection of Journal of Biological Chemistry publications that highlights some seminal PDB structures
Access the PDB structures included in this collection
Vol 20, Issue 3, March 2021
Structural biology methods and milestones that helped to build and grow the PDB archive
- Historical Overview of the PDB
- Molecule of the Month on PDB Pioneers (October 2011): a look at the dozen historic structures that set the foundation for the PDB archive
- Structural Biology and Nobel Prizes
- Protein Data Bank and 50 years of Molecular Structures (PDF)
- PDB Users and 50 Years of Community Building
PDB50 Game: This gives players the opportunity to explore the process of structure discovery.
Video: Celebrating in Virtual Reality
Exploration of groundbreaking PDB structures for structure-based drug design.